Learn how to create 3d octopus text effect. This Adobe Photoshop tutorial teaches how to apply octopus skin texture and light reflections to the 3d letters. You may get large (8.5 x 6 in, 300px/in) editable .psd* file of "Octopus text effect"("Octopus" font sign on the white plate) Photoshop tutorial by making a payment.
Also you may get previous file + large (10.5 x 11.5 in, 300px/in) .psd* file of "Octopus alphabet and numbers" which includes all English letters and 1-9 numbers in separate layers. You may see alphabet file preview below.
Click to enlarge the image.
Whole "Octopus style" alphabet and examples of using the font.
- Create a new Photoshop document 1200 x1800px, and resolution - 300px/inch. The layer style effects for letters depend of the shapes size and resolution.
- The shape of Octopus tentacles letters is based on bold and rounded "Anja Eliane" font.
- Type the letter (create each letter in the separate layer), use font size around 130pt for this size of Photoshop document.
- Rasterize the letter and change its shape with the regular round Brush and Eraser tools. Draw small suction cups and curled ends.
- To create smooth and sharp edges for the transformed letters, you may convert them into the vector shapes using Illustrator, but you may keep raster letters as well.
- In order to create 3D layers I used different smaller document without a lot of empty space around. You may download this document .
- In order to create 3d letter, go to 3D > Repousse:
- If you have vector shape layer, make active path thumbnail and choose "Selected path".
- If you have regular rasterized layer, load selection for the letter and add Layer Mask, make active "layer Mask" thumbnail and choose 3D > Repousse > Layer Mask.
- Choose from Presents "Inflate Sides".
- Open 3d layers palette. Make active "Scene" adjustments, use Interactive Quality for beginning.
- Apply setting and materials only to "Front Inflation Material".
- Load skin_pattern.psb file for Diffuse setting and "skin.psb" for "Bump".
- Use Lights Preset from help files.
- Choose "Ray Traced Final" Quality after applying all adjustments.
- If you would like to add more light reflections to the tentacles surface, duplicate letter 3D layer. Choose again "Interactive Painting" quality for this layer.
- Keep the same lights preset, but use different settings for the Inflation Material:
- Return to the textured 3D letter layer, rasterize it and move this shape back to the main Photoshop document. Make the same thing with the "black and white"reflection layer.
- Go to Image > Auto Contrast.
- Then duplicate letter layer 4 times and put "black and white"reflection layer above.
- Make active 2-nd duplicate (we will use the 1-st one to create shadow).
- Apply Inner Glow, Bevel and Emboss, Gradient Overlay layers style effects to this layer.