Learn how to create cute and funny animals characters by using simple tools and techniques. This Adobe Photoshop tutorial teaches how to apply smooth fur texture and sharp elements to rough sketch of the"Owl". You may get large (1600x1600px, 300px/in) .psd* file of "Animals Characters"Photoshop tutorial by making a payment.
This file contains 4 animals characters in separate layers. So you will be able to use them with different backgrounds. Also it contains folders with intermediate stages and elements such as eyes, beak, silhouette shapes. Here is the Screen Shot of several file layers.
- Then apply bird skin texture with the translucent/round/small size brush.
- Skin texture was created by putting translucent spots of brown/pink/yellow shades.
- Add nails.
- I applied default "Bevel and Emboss" layer style effect to them (5px size &softness). Also I processed them a bit with the soft translucent brush.
- Merge all leg layers.
- Duplicate the merged leg shape, go to Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal to create the second leg.
- Download Hair/Fur brushes to create feathery texture for the owl body.
- There are two ways to make feathery effect - by using brushes with the settings from screen shot below or by using "Smudge Tool". Try both of them to find out which one works better for you, also you may combine these techniques. I'll describe Smudge Tool option in the next step.
- To work with the "Smudge Tool", set "Strength" between 80-100% (bigger amount makes hair longer).
- Make active blurred owl body layer and try to draw out hairs by following errors directions from screen shot below:
- In order to make long lock of hair choose smallest hair brush and use bigger Strength(90-100%) amount.