Learn how to create cute and funny animals characters by using simple tools and techniques. This Adobe Photoshop tutorial teaches how to apply smooth fur texture and sharp elements to rough sketch of the"Owl". You may get large (1600x1600px, 300px/in) .psd* file of "Animals Characters"Photoshop tutorial by making a payment.
This file contains 4 animals characters in separate layers. So you will be able to use them with different backgrounds. Also it contains folders with intermediate stages and elements such as eyes, beak, silhouette shapes. Here is the Screen Shot of several file layers.
Click to enlarge the image.
How to create an "Owl Character".
- The Owl sketch below has a size around 660x630px and resolution of 300px/inch. This may be important because of brushes sizes and layer style effects for the eyes and beak.
- Create pretty simple/rough sketch of the bird. Use translucent round brush or brush "40px" from Hair/Fur brushes set. Actually the sketch may be much simpler than the example below. You have to create bird silhouette with the dark and light spots. I've used Photoshop CS5 and intuos 4 to make this character but it's possible to get absolutely the same result with the older versions of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and using a different drawing tablet device.
- Make created bird image smoother. Go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur, apply ~5 or 6px. Then increase contrast of owl "face" areas. Make the areas next to eyes and beak darker using round Brush Tool.
- Learn how to create the Owl's eyes.
- Choose "Ellipse Tool" and create the circle for the bottom "eye" layer. We'll use this shape to create dark contour around eye (eyelid).
- Duplicate circle layer 2 times. Transform second duplicate to make it a little smaller. We need this layer to make iris shape (yellow area of the eye).
- Transform 3-rd duplicate as well. Make it 40-50% smaller. We will use it to make a pupil (dark circle).
- Download Owls eyes styles and apply them to the circles layers to get similar effect:
- Then add two small white circles above the eyes layers to create reflection effect.
- Now you can merge all eye layers.
- Duplicate merged layer to create second eye.
- You may create some elements without good painting skills. Draw basic flat shapes of the beak with the Brush Tool or Pen Tool. Create each element in a separate layer.
- Download Beak styles and apply them to beak elements:
- Then you may merge beak shapes into the one layer. Process created beak shape by using translucent brush. Add some color reflections and make beak surface smoother.
- Use very similar way to draw the legs. First, make very simple basic shapes with the gradient.